Libyan rebels reject Kadhafi sons' offer
Issued on: Modified:
The Libyan rebels' Transitional National Council on Monday rejected any transition under Moamer Kadhafi's sons in response to reports that a deal was on offer. Fighting continued Monday over control of the town of Brega.
At least two of Kadhafi's sons are proposing a transition to a constitutional democracy that would include their father's removal from power, The New York Times reported Sunday.
"This is completely rejected by the council," council spokespereson Shamseddin
Abdulmelah said. "Kadhafi and his sons have to leave before any diplomatic negotiations can take place."
Citing an unnamed diplomat and a Libyan official briefed on the plan, the newspaper said the transition would be spearheaded by one of Kadhafi's sons, Seif al-Islam.
Greek Foreign Minister Dimitris Droutsas that the Kadhafi regime is “looking for a solution” after a meeting between Prime Minister George Papandreou and a Libyan envoy.
More than 250 patients were brought from Misrata to the rebel port of Benghazi on Sunday on board a Turkish aid ship. The boat was due to pick up another 60 or so wounded people from the eastern front before going on to the Turkish port of Cesme.
Kadhafi's forces besieging Misrata have been targeted by foreign forces’ air strikes.
US involvement in air strikes continued on Monday at Nato's request, because of "recent poor weather in Libya", the Pentagon announced. Washington had previously planned to withdraw its jet fighters on Sunday.
Rebels who entered the eastern town of Brega Sunday and then withdrew after being ambushed, regrouped early Monday with an advanced column moving back towards the town.
Daily news briefReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe