Skip to main content
Afghanistan

Afghan, Nato forces retake district from Taliban

US Army

A joint operation by Afghan and international forces have recaptured a district near the Afghan-Pakistani border that had been seized by Taliban militants since the last Saturday, Nato and the Afghan government said on Tuesday.

Advertising

The Taliban entered the district of Bargi Matal in the remote northeastern Nuristan province on Saturday, driving out Afghan security forces.

On Monday, Nato jets bombed the region in what they said was support of their Afghan counterparts.

The defence ministry announced Tuesday that in a "join operation of Afghan National Army commando unit and coalition forces" the region "was captured by government forces".

Nato, US and Afghan military are preparing a large offensive against the Taliban in the southern province of Kandahar to begin in August.

But as operations in the south intensify, violence has been escalating elsewhere in the country.

Attacks in western Farah province on Monday sparked several hours of fighting in which 15 Taliban and six locals were killed, according to provincial police.

Daily news briefReceive essential international news every morning

Page not found

The content you requested does not exist or is not available anymore.