One killed as second typhoon hits the Philippines
A second typhoon lashed the Philippines on Saturday killing at least one person and adding to the misery for more than a million people still trapped by floods from a storm earlier this week. Typhoon Nalgae hit the main island of Luzon mid-morning packing winds of up to 195 kilometres per hour.
The storm was following the same path as the deadly Typhoon Nesat, which dumped the biggest single-day volume of rain on the area this year after hitting Luzon on Tuesday. Nesat killed 50 people and left 31 others missing, according to government figures.
A local defence office said Nalgae killed one person and injured another when a landslide buried a van on a mountain highway near the upland resort of Baguio which was being pummelled by strong rain and winds.
Officials say more than three million people are in Nalgae's immediate path, but the typhoon's 500-kilometre-wide front means large parts of the island of 48 million people, including Manila, are also feeling the effects.
The typhoon is forecast to blow out at sea by late afternoon, but the authorities are concerned about floods unleashed by Nesat which are expected to worsen with Nalgae's passage.
Vast areas are already underwater in the heavily populated farming region of central Luzon, where rainwater from northern mountain ranges in Nalgae's path flow across a 150-kilometre-long floodplain before emptying into Manila Bay.
Disaster council director Benito Ramos said thousands of rescue workers were deployed ahead of Nalgae's landfall, and the northeast coast was evacuated from Friday.
Daily news briefReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe