Skip to main content
Saudi Arabia - FRANCE

French police arrest Paris Saudi carjacking suspects

Prince Abdul Aziz Bin Fahd is reported to have been the owner of the hijacked vehicle
Prince Abdul Aziz Bin Fahd is reported to have been the owner of the hijacked vehicle Open access/Ra3ialqassab

French police have arrested nine people in connection with a spectacular carjacking on the convoy of a Saudi prince last year that netted 250,000 euros.

Advertising

The suspects were picked up in the Paris region and were in custody on Monday, police sources said.

The attack took place last August when the convoy was heading for Le Bourget airport after leaving the prince's plush hotel on Paris's Champs Elysées.

Between five and eight robbers in two BMWs hijacked the first of 10 vehicles, driving off with the three occupants but letting them go later.

No one was hurt in the attack.

The Saudis' Mercedes and one of the BMWs were later found abandoned and burned out in a village north-east of Paris.

As well as the 250,000 euros, the thieves made off with "sensitive" diplomatic documents.

At the time police said that the attackers were "obviously well informed".

The prince was identified as Abdul Aziz Bin Fahd by airport sources.

He is the multi-millionaire youngest son of King Fahd, who died last year, and has a reputation as a playboy.

He was already at Le Bourget when the attack took place and took off for an unknown destination.

Page not found

The content you requested does not exist or is not available anymore.