Skip to main content
France

Terror plot foiled in French region of Orleans

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said a terror plot was foiled in Orleans last week.
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said a terror plot was foiled in Orleans last week. AFP / REMY GABALDA

French intelligence agency (DGSI) foiled a jihadist plot last week in the region of Orleans in central France. Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said that a planned attack targeting representatives of state forces in the Orleans region was foiled last week by the DGSI.

Advertising

Two French citizens aged 20 and 24 were arrested on December 19. The older has a police record for petty crime.

According to a police source, one was originally from Morocco and the other from Togo.

Click here to read more articles on Paris attacks

Cazeneuve added that the two were in contact with a French jihadist in Syria.

"The investigation ought to establish if he ordered the attacks that one of the two arrested men has admitted they were planning to carry out against soldiers, police and representatives of the state," Cazeneuve said.

"These arrests are the result of meticulous work by our intelligence services and bring the number of attacks foiled on the national territory since 2013 to 10," he said.

Cazeneuve also said that 3,414 people had been turned away from France's borders since a state of emergency was introduced following last month's Paris attacks, which left 130 people dead.

They were refused entry "due to the risk they present to security and public order," Cazeneuve said.

Meanwhile, the police announced plans on Tuesday to hold a special recruitment drive and exams in March that will help meet the government's goal of appointing an additional 5,000 trainees in the coming year.

selfpromo.newsletter.titleselfpromo.newsletter.text

Page not found

The content you requested does not exist or is not available anymore.