Death toll from Nice attack rises to 85
Issued on: Modified:
The death toll from the Bastille Day truck attack in the southern French city of Nice rose to 85 after a man who was wounded in the attack, succumbed to injuries on Thursday.
Nice's Pasteur hospital said the man had been on life support since the day of the attack.
Local newspaper Le Messager said he was a 56-year-old from France’s eastern Haute-Savoie region, whose wife and son were also killed in the attack and whose 14-year-old daughter remains in hospital.
84 people were killed after Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel ploughed a 19-tonne truck into a crowd enjoying a July 14 fireworks display on Nice's seafront Promenade des Anglais before he was shot dead by police.
The attack, claimed by the Islamic State armed group, left 434 people injured.
Security fears prompt cancellation of Europe’s biggest flea market in Lille
Europe’s biggest flea market which is set up during the first weekend of September every year in the northern French city of Lille has been cancelled this year over security fears.
Lille mayor Martine Aubry said that the decision to cancel the Grande Braderie was taken as there were security risks that cannot be reduced.
The fair, which features 100 km of stalls and hosts 10,000 exhibitors, is one of the most popular events in Europe. Last year, it attracted around 2.5 million visitors.