Brother-in-law of Charlie Hebdo attacker accepts extradition to France
Issued on: Modified:
Mourad Hamyd, the brother-in-law of one of the perpetrators of the attack against Charlie Hebdo in Paris in January 2015, has agreed to his extradition to France from Bulgaria.
According to AFP, the 20-year-old said he wanted an immediate extradition to France during the extradition hearing in the Bulgarian capital of Sofia.
Arrested by the Bulgarian authorities on July 28, he is believed to have wanted to join the Islamic state armed group in Syria.
Mourad described his arrest as "unfair" and said he was declared a terrorist on the basis of mere suspicion.
A European arrest warrant was issued by the district court of Paris stating Hamyd must respond in France of his “criminal association with a view to preparing acts of terrorism.” This offense is punishable by ten years in prison.
Hamyd arrived in Bulgaria by train on July 26 from Hungary and Serbia. He tried to visit Turkey two days later but was turned back by the authorities. He was then sent to a detention centre in Bulgaria on July 28.
The French warrant noted that his journey “is the one usually taken by jihadist volunteers wanting to join the Islamic State armed group in Syria and Iraq.”
The disappearance of Hamyd was reported in early July to the police in Charleville-Mezieres by one of his sisters, who was worried that he had carried all her belongings.
In January 2015, he had been placed in custody for 48 hours after the attack against Charlie Hebdo in which 12 people were killed. He was later released without any charges against him.