Muguruza slumps out of Wimbledon in second round
Issued on: Modified:
Second seed Garbine Muguruza crashed out of Wimbledon on Thursday. The 22-year-old Spaniard lost in straight sets to the Slovakian qualifier Jana Cepelova .
Muguruza blamed her win at the French Open earlier this month as the reason for players targeting her.
"It's part of being at the top level,” she said. “I would not change that. Every time I step on the court, well, they want to beat me so much. They're all loose because they don't have anything to lose.”
Cepelova, who is ranked 124 in the world, claimed the match 6-3 6-2 in 59 minutes on Court One. It was the same arena where the 23-year-old took the scalp of Simona Halep last year. “I deserved to win. I'm so happy," said Cepelova.
"There are more expectations from other people,” added Muguruza. “But I just had a very clear feeling it was going to be a rough tournament for me after winning the French Open and coming here. Everybody is looking at me. But I like that. It puts me in a good situation. Hopefully I can keep it like this."
Daily news briefReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe