Vote in Guinea peaceful, says observer
Issued on: Modified:
Guineans voted peacefully on Sunday in the presidential runoff, chosing between former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo and veteran opposition politician Alpha Conde. Diallo was leading in opinion polls. He won 43 per cent of the vote in the first round; Conde came in with 18 per cent.
The two men come from two ethnic majorities, the Fulani and Mandinke, and they made a joint call for calm, after a campaign that was marked by violence.
In Conakry, voters began lining up at sunrise for the opening of polling stations at 7am.
General Yakubu Gowon, head of the Carter Center observer mission in Guinea
Many had feared that Sunday's vote would be marred by violence. The run-up to the vote was turbulent with at least one person killed and dozens injured in clashes between rival political camps.
General Yakubu Gowon is leading the Carter Center's observer mission in Guinea. He visited six polling stations in the Conakry area on Sunday and said everything is calm.
"Thank God so far there is not any violence at all," he told RFI.
"It was really like a holiday and everything was going well. We are not expecting any disturbance, especially with the various appeals that have been made."
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe