Guinea

At least one killed in clashes as Guinea awaits election results

A soldier stands near election posters at the party headquarters of RPG presidential candidate Alpha Conde in Conakry
A soldier stands near election posters at the party headquarters of RPG presidential candidate Alpha Conde in Conakry Reuters

At least one person has died and dozens were injured in clashes between security forces and supporters of Guinean presidential candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo, a police source says. The violence comes as rival candidate Alpha Conde claims he has won Guinea’s first democratic elections.

Advertising

"Soldiers fired on a group of protesters" killing one of them in Ratoma, a suburb of Conakry, the source said, adding that "dozens were injured."

Guinea’s independent electoral commission says it will release the results of Sunday’s presidential run-off at 1800 GMT on Monday. The results should have been published last Wednesday, but the electoral body delayed publishing the results.

The violence in the street came as presidential candidate Alpha Conde declared victory on Monday and Diallo called for a probe into elections results.

At a press conference, Conde told journalists: "I know I have won."

"I have won four out of five districts in Conakry, all of the Lower Guinea prefectures except for Boke, all of the Forest prefectures and Upper Guinea. How could I not win?" he added.

Electoral commission chairman Siaka Sangare said on Sunday he had received Diallo's complaints but added: "I sincerely believe that we have treated all claims with the maximum attention."

Partial results so far show Conde and Diallo neck and neck in the much-anticipated and often-delayed second round of presidential elections. In the first round of elections in June, Diallo won 43 per cent of the vote in the first round, while Conde came in with 18 per cent.
 

Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning