French foreign minister denies strikes targeted Libyan civilians
Issued on: Modified:
French Foreign Minister Alain Juppé says that airstrikes against Libya have been a "success" and denied civilians had been targeted. Juppé said the strikes will continue as long as necessary.
As strikes against forces loyal to Moamer Kadhafi entered a sixth day, Juppé insisted operations were aimed at protecting Libyan civilian population.
On Thursday, air raids by a coalition led by the US, Britain and France, targeted military sites near Tripoli. On Wednesday night, witnesses reported a huge blast at a military base in a residential area near the capital. Libya’s state news agency said the raids had killed “a large number” of civilians.
A decision has yet to be reached on whether Nato should take charge of air strikes on Libya. A Nato diplomat told AFP news service the alliance would try to reach a decision on Thursday.
The French foreign minister added that France was in favour of handing over responsibility for implementing a UN-approved "no-fly" zone to Nato.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe