NTC fighters launch attack on pro-Kadhafi forces in Sirte
Fighters for Libya's interim rulers entered Moamer Kadhafi's hometown Sirte on Saturday, as a number of explosions rocked Tripoli and the new rulers said a government will be announced next week.
Tripoli residents heard at least 12 blasts, reportedly caused by an explosion at a naval base’s munitions dump.
Also in the capital National Transitional Council (NTC) head Mustafa Abdel Jalil said a transitional government will be announced within a week. The announcement was put off from last Sunday because of haggling over portfolios.
Meanwhile, NTC troops faced heavy rocket and machine-gun fire to launch a surprise assault on Sirte, where some of the last remaining forces loyal to Kadhafi have been holding out.
Using tanks and pickup trucks mounted with anti-aircraft guns, the NTC forces moved in a pincer movement and east cleared away roadblocks set up by Kadhafi forces and drove
toward the city centre.
Heavy fighting also raged in Bani Walid, the only other remaining pro-Kadhafi. Doctors reported that a total of 30 NTC troops have been killed so far on that front.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe