United States, France

Strauss-Kahn lawyers deny contacting accuser

Reuters/Richard Drew

Lawyers for former IMF boss Dominique Strauss-Kahn on Wednesday denied rumours that they had been in contact with the woman who says he tried to rape her when she went to clean his hotel room.

Advertising

"Reports that Mr. Strauss-Kahn's attorneys or representatives are in contact with the complaining witness or her family are false," Benjamin Brafman and William Taylor said in a statement.

A report in the New York Post this week said offers of payments were being made by Strauss-Kahn "friends" to the woman's impoverished family in the West African country of Guinea.

The article quoted members of her family in Guinea who insisted they would refuse any offer of a financial settlement.

The lawyers' statement also repeated that they "believe that Mr Strauss-Kahn will be fully exonerated."

Strauss-Kahn was detained 14 May and later indicted on sex crimes charges.

He has resigned his IMF post and is free on strict bail in Manhattan while awaiting a 6 June court appearance.

The hotel maid he allegedly assaulted has not been seen in public since.
 

 

Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning