Prosecutors call meeting with Strauss-Kahn accuser, case could be dismissed on Tuesday
Issued on: Modified:
Manhattan prosecutors have asked Nafissatou Diallo, the New York chambermaid who says Dominique Strauss-Kahn tried to rape her, to attend a meeting on Monday afternoon.
Diallo's lawyer says he expects the prosecutors to announce that they will drop all or some of the charges at the meeting, which comes the day before Strauss-Kahn is due to appear before a judge in a New York state court.
The New York Post reported at the weekend that prosecutor Cyrus Vance will review the findings of his months-long investigation, including previously undisclosed information which apparently raises doubts about Diallo's credibility.
At Tuesday's hearing, prosecutors will either tell the judge they intend to pursue the case, or they may ask the judge to dismiss the charges.
If a motion to dismiss the charges is immediately granted by the judge, the former director of the International Monetary Fund is free to return to France.
He is currently free on bail, but his passport has been confiscated.
The New York Times says Diallo's lawyer, Kenneth Thompson plans to ask the judge to appoint a special prosecutor, as he maintains that District Attorney Cyrus Vance has mishandled the case.
Strauss-Kahn has pleaded not guilty to all the charges against him, which include criminal sexual act and attempted rape.
Earlier this month Diallo filed a civil suit against Strauss-Kahn seeking unspecified damages.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe