No decisions reached says NHL after Quebec report
Denying a Montreal radio station report that Quebec City's expansion bid has been denied, the National Hockey League insisted on Monday no decisions have been made on adding new teams.
Radio station CKLX reported that Quebec City would not be included in talks about boosting the NHL from 30 to 32 clubs. Both Quebec City and Las Vegas answered an NHL request last year for expansion candidates.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly released a statement denying the report and updating the expansion process, which thus far has had no timeline.
"We will not comment on the substance of our process, which remains ongoing," Daly said. "No final decisions have been reached and no recommendation of any kind has been made or communicated by the league office or the executive committee either to the NHL Players' Association or to the NHL Board of Governors."
The report said the players' union had been notified Quebec City would not be in expansion talks moving forward.
Both cities have new NHL-sized arenas, the one in Las Vegas opening next month, and no expansion team would begin before the 2017-18 season, according to the league.
A weakened Canadian dollar compared to the US dollar, which the NHL uses, has been thought to be a factor working against the Quebec City effort.
The Quebec Nordiques played in the NHL from 1979 until leaving in 1995 to become the Colorado Avalanche.
© 2016 AFP