Sports quotes of the week
AFP Sports' top quotes of the week:
"I have been making steady progress with my overall fitness, but I am still not 100% and feel I might be taking an unnecessary risk by playing in this event before I am really ready."
- Roger Federer on his withdrawal from the French Open, ending a sequence of 65 consecutive Grand Slams stretching back to 1999.
"It makes me sad and it's scary. It's bizarre to say Roger won't be in Paris."
- French Open champion Stan Wawrinka on Federer's decision.
"It's 2016 and times move on. Women make more than men these days. It is what it is. I think everyone should have the opportunity to join a club if they want to."
- Rory McIlroy on Muirfield's decision to remain an all-male club.
"He's cool, he knows what to do, but this is his life."
- Jos Verstappen on 18-year-old son Max who became the youngest race winner in F1 history with victory in Barcelona.
"Why so many condoms? There are never enough!"
- Lucas Dantas, a spokesman for the Rio Olympics Committee, on the 450,000 condoms which will be distributed to the 10,500 athletes at the Games in August.
"But I don't know how my dog eats that. I guess he's okay with it."
- Serena Williams after mistakenly eating her pet dog's food during the Italian Open in Rome.
© 2016 AFP