Skip to main content

Yemen cross-border shelling kills 3 Saudi children

2 min
Advertising

Riyadh (AFP)

Cross-border shelling from Yemen has killed three children in Saudi Arabia and wounded nine other people, the kingdom's SPA news agency reported on Monday.

In one of the attacks, two Saudi girls were killed and five of their family members wounded when a rocket hit their home in the border region of Najran, SPA said.

In the same region, an 11-year-old boy was killed and his mother wounded in similar shelling, SPA cited civil defence authorities as saying in a separate statement.

A third attack in the region of Jazan wounded a Saudi child and two women, one of them Ethiopian, another statement said.

All the attacks took place on Sunday.

Cross-border attacks from Yemen have intensified since the suspension in early August of UN-brokered peace talks between the Shiite Huthi rebels and their allies, and Yemen's internationally-recognised government, which has the military support of a Saudi-led Arab coalition.

On Saturday, a rocket fired from Yemen killed a three-year-old boy in Najran, where shelling struck a power station a day earlier.

The Arab coalition has also stepped up its air raids in Yemen since peace talks collapsed.

The coalition intervened in March last year to support President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi after the Huthis and their allies seized much of Yemen.

Page not found

The content you requested does not exist or is not available anymore.