Celtic denied by Fisher late show


Glasgow (AFP)

Inverness Caledonian Thistle substitute Alex Fisher struck an 89th-minute winner to deny Scottish Premiership leaders Celtic victory in a 2-2 draw on Sunday.

Brendan Rodgers's Celtic, chasing a sixth successive title, were looking to bounce back from their humbling 7-0 demolition by Barcelona in the Champions League on Tuesday.

They looked on course for a fifth consecutive league win when Scott Sinclair restored their lead in the 34th minute after Australian midfielder Tom Rogic's opener had been cancelled out by Billy King.

But with full-time beckoning at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, Fisher headed home a last-gasp equaliser to lift the Highlanders off the foot of the table.

Nevertheless, Celtic remain three points clear of Hearts at the top of the table and also have a game in hand.

Rodgers made two changes from the thrashing at Camp Nou, with Rogic and Callum McGregor coming in for Nir Bitton and veteran centre-back Kolo Toure.

Inverness made an assured start, but they fell behind in the 17th minute when Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney picked out Rogic to volley home his fifth goal of the season.

The hosts levelled 11 minutes later when loanee King cut inside Cristian Gamboa and dispatched a 25-yard drive that visiting goalkeeper Dorus de Vries could only help into the net.

Inverness had a penalty appeal turned down moments later when Ross Draper appeared to be brought down by Erik Sviatchenko, only for referee Don Robertson to wave play on.

Sinclair struck shortly after the half-hour mark, seizing on the ball following an error by Josh Meekings and curling home.

Celtic dominated the second half, but Inverness goalkeeper Owain Fon Williams repelled everything that came his way, saving from Moussa Dembele, Tierney, McGregor, Rogic and Sinclair.

When Celtic did find a way past the Welshman, Sviatchenko saw his header come back off the post.

The home side landed a sucker punch in the dying moments when Fisher leapt to convert Greg Tansey's cross with a header.

Tansey then curled a free-kick narrowly wide, while Celtic went close to restoring their lead when Fon Williams had to save an injury-time header from Dembele.