UN to probe deadly attack on aid convoy in Syria
United Nations (United States) (AFP)
The United Nations has established an "internal and independent" inquiry into an attack last month on a humanitarian convoy in Syria that killed at least 18, spokesman Stephane Dujarric announced Friday.
The board will start its probe next week and be led by Lieutenant General Abhijit Guha, the secretary-general's spokesman said in a statement.
The committee will submit its findings to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who will "review the report and decide what further steps to take."
Ban "urges all parties concerned to extend their full cooperation to the board," his spokesman said.
The UN had announced on September 30 its plan to establish the board of inquiry.
The September 19 attack on a UN-Syrian Arab Red Crescent convoy of aid trucks in the northern province of Aleppo left at least 18 dead -- including a Red Crescent staff member -- and destroyed at least 18 of the 31 aid vehicles.
Washington expressed outrage over the attack and attributed it to Russia, which denied responsibility.
Ban, in his farewell address last month to the UN General Assembly, denounced the attack as "sickening, savage and apparently deliberate" and described the bombers as "cowards."
© 2016 AFP