Who's saying what at the Ryder Cup
Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines (France) (AFP)
Europe defeated the United States 17.5 to 10.5 to regain the Ryder Cup at Le Golf National on Sunday:
AFP Sport picks out some of the best quotes from the final day:
"We're very proud today, this has been easy, they have been amazing, just the 12 of them has just been unbelievable. The way they bonded with each other, there were things they had done, and how they just get together and do a proper job; they were determined. They just set out to do a job themselves, and I mean, it was an easy job to guide them in that direction."
- European captain Thomas Bjorn salutes his victorious side
- "My hat's off to Europe. They played well again. When it got tough, they turned it around. Hat's off to Thomas. He was a great captain. His 12 team members played well."
- US captain Jim Furyk pays tribute to the European counterpart Bjorn and his winning side
"So much, so much more than majors, more than anything. It's been an incredible week. Obviously they had probably the strongest team ever and were just so good."
- Francesco Molinari said winning the Ryder Cup meant more than anything else, including his British Open win at Carnoustie
"To beat Tiger, one of the greatest, if not the greatest, on the Sunday, with a pivotal point, I was so aware of it, it's the best feeling of my life."
- Jon Rahm, whose 2 and 1 win over Tiger Woods helped Europe repel an early fightback from the US in the singles
"Frankie's Frankie. He's unbelievable. He's gone 5-0 in a Ryder Cup. That guy is one good golfer, and you know, he deserves all the credit he gets and I think it was very fitting that he got the winning shot, as well."
-- Tommy Fleetwood has high praise for Francesco Molinari, whose win over Phil Mickelson sealed victory for Europe
"I think that a lot of people thought that the Ryder Cup was over before it was played and I guess unfortunately they picked the wrong team."
- Sergio Garcia, who became the leading points-scorer in Ryder Cup history
"It's disappointing because I went 0-4, and that's four points to the European Team. And I'm one of the contributing factors to why we lost the Cup, and it's not a lot of fun."
- Tiger Woods, who lost all four of his matches at Le Golf National
© 2018 AFP