Disneyland Paris visitor numbers down since attacks
Issued on: Modified:
Disneyland Paris has seen visitor numbers fall by eight percent since the 13 November Paris attacks, according to the Euro Disney company. On Tuesday the company's president said the resort saw many booking cancellations after the attacks.
In a new annual report, the company announced its first quarter (from October-January) revenues fell to 337.6 million euros from 341.5 million euros for the same period in the previous accounting year, a drop of 1.1 percent. According to the company, resort figures were also hit "by our decision to close the theme parks for four days," during a period of national mourning. The closure from 14-17 November was a first for the attraction which opened in 1992.
The biggest stayaways, apart from French visitors, were tourists from Britain and the Netherlands, though numbers were slightly up from Spain.The loss was, however, made up for in part by a four percent rise in the average spend per visitor.
"Despite the softened tourism environment, we remain confident in our long term strategy and we are encouraged by the resilience of the French market in particular," company president Tom Wolber said in the company report.
Disneyland Paris is the most visited theme park in Europe, with 14.8 million visitors in 2015, according to Euro Disney's annual report.
Last year Euro Disney sliced its net losses by 10 percent to 84.2 million euros on turnover of 1.37 billion euros.
Euro Disney has been seeking to restructure the business for years.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe