Bataclan to reopen one year after Paris attacks with Sting concert
The Bataclan concert hall, where jihadists massacred 90 people on November 13 last year, will reopen on Saturday with a hugely symbolic show by rock star Sting to mark the first anniversary of France’s bloodiest terror attacks.
Scores of survivors of the Bataclan hall assault – the worst in the gun and suicide attacks across the city that night which left 130 dead – will attend the concert, the dominant event in a weekend of otherwise low-key commemorations.
On Friday, November 13, 2015, a night of horror began with three suicide bombers who blew themselves up outside the Stade de France.
Other Islamic State armed group gangs opened fire on defenceless people on cafe terraces, but the worst nightmare was in the Bataclan, where cowering or wounded concert goers were coldly shot dead one by one.
On Sunday, President Francois Hollande and Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo will unveil plaques to the victims outside the stadium, the Bataclan and bars and restaurants targeted that night.
A year later, nine people out of the around 400 injured in the rampage are still in hospital.
Reflecting the desire by music lovers to revive the scarred Bataclan, Sting's hour-long concert sold out within minutes of going on sale Tuesday.
“The whole world is going to see the Bataclan live again,” said Jerome Langlet, of the venue's owners Lagardere Live Entertainment.
Hundreds of places have been kept for those who survived the attack, which unfolded during a concert by the US group Eagles of Death Metal. Families, psychologists and counsellors will be on hand to support them.
While reopening the doors will mean reliving painful memories for many, Jules Frutos, who has co-run the venue for the last 12 years, told AFP, “We had to go on after such horror and not leave a mausoleum, a tomb.”
Frutos said he was determined to put on a fully-fledged concert before the November 13 anniversary – an event high in emotion and music, worthy of the rock fans who died.
“Reopening the Bataclan with a ceremony and then a bit of music didn't cut the mustard for me at all,” he said.
Frutos said he rang Sting himself to ask him to play after the British singer told a journalist he was keen to help, having last appeared at the Bataclan with The Police in 1979.
“His coming here is what we needed,” said Frutos, admitting the weight of the occasion had been too much for many top French acts.
Sting, 65, said he wanted to “celebrate the life and the music that this historic theatre represents” and promised to donate proceeds to two charities set up to help survivors.
Since the attacks, the hall's devastated and blood-stained interior has been completely replaced, from the seats to the floorboards, with identical fittings.
“We wanted to change everything so nothing would remain of that terrible night,” said Langlet, who told reporters "several million euros" has been spent on refurbishing the building in identical style without losing the venue's intimate atmosphere.
“We decide to change everything so nothing would change," he added.
Survivors, including members of Eagles of Death Metal, will gather outside the venue again on Sunday morning when Hollande and Paris Mayor Hidalgo unveil a plaque inscribed with the names of the victims. No speeches are expected.
The Bataclan will remain dark on the anniversary itself, before opening again on Wednesday for a series of concerts by British singer Pete Doherty, Senegalese star Youssou N'Dour and British Sixties legend Marianne Faithfull.
- with AFP
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe