Roland Garros 2015

Federer slams security at French Open

Roger Federer won his first round match at Roland Garros before being approached on court by a fan.
Roger Federer won his first round match at Roland Garros before being approached on court by a fan. Reuters/Vincent Kessler

Organisers of the French Open said they would review procedures after a spectator eluded security guards and accosted the Swiss star Roger Federer as he was leaving centre court.


Federer yesterday hit out at security arrangements after a fan walked onto Court Philippe Chatrier and attempted to take a selfie with the 17-times grand slam champion.

The Swiss second seed appeared surprised as the man emerged just as he was leaving the court having defeated the unseeded Colombian Alejandro Falla in straights sets. Security staff eventually ushered the man away.

"I'm not happy about it. Obviously not one second I'm happy about it, said Federer.

It was the second intrusion in as many days for 33-year-old Swiss star. During practice sessions on Saturday, a young fan walked onto his court followed by three more youngsters.

Click here for our coverage of Roland Garros 2015

“And then on centre court where you would think this is a place where nobody can come on, a man just wanders on and nothing happens,” added the 2009 champion.

Security at the tournament was breached two years ago during the final between Rafael Nadal and fellow Spaniard David Ferrer when a protestor scrambled from the stands on to the court, carrying a flare and protesting against France's same-sex marriage law.

Tournament organiser Gilbert Ysern said last night that he had apologised to Federer after the match. He conceded the incident was embarrassing but he said security protocol would not be altered.

"It was just a lack of judgement. Clearly the security people who were on court did not do the job the way they should have done, of course, to say the least," he said.

"Normally I only speak on behalf of myself. But in this situation I think I can speak on behalf of all the players,” said Federer. “The court is where you do your job, that's where you want to feel safe. And so clearly I'm not happy about it.

"But nothing happened, so I'm relieved. But clearly it wasn't a nice situation to be in."

In 1993, Monica Seles was on a tennis court in Hamburg when she was stabbed in the back during her quarter-final match against the Bulgarian Magdalena Maleeva.

"We need to make sure that it's safe out there and people don't just wander on the court like a free pass," added Federer.


Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning