Security raised at Wimbledon after Tunisia beach attack
Security has been stepped up in line with the British national terror threat level at this year's Wimbledon tennis championships, which got under way Monday. Police officers were visible around the perimeter and inside the grounds.
British security forces are on alert following Friday's gun massacre on a Tunisian beach, which was the worst loss of British life in a terror attack since the July 2005 suicide bombings on London's transport system.
Britain's national terror threat level was raised in August 2014 to severe, the second-highest of five levels, meaning an attack is considered highly likely.
"The Wimbledon Tennis Championships are a regular feature in our calendar and one of the great British sporting events," Chief Superintendent Stuart Macleod, the local police borough commander in southwest London, told news agency AFP.
Extra officers will be on duty patrolling the area, while road closures and a "highly mobile reserve that can respond to emerging incidents" have been put in place.
Police officers will get help from smartphones and social networks.
"We will be making full use of Twitter this year to provide up-to-date information concerning the policing of this event and visitors to the Championships are encouraged to follow," said Macleod.
One thing visitors are not allowed to bring through the security checks this year are selfie sticks, which the All England Club took the decision to ban in April.
The ban was not put in place for security reasons but because they obstruct the view of other spectators.
Wimbledon is not the only championship where selfies are an issue.
Last month, top player Roger Federer slammed security at Roland Garros after a spectator accosted him to take a picture as Federer was leaving the court.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe