Skip to main content
Sports

Lawn order: Wimbledon chiefs say 2021 tournament will go ahead

Simona Halep won the women's singles crown at Wimbledon in 2019.
Simona Halep won the women's singles crown at Wimbledon in 2019. AFP/Archives
2 min

Organisers of the tennis Grand Slam tournament at Wimbledon said on Friday the 2021 event will go ahead without fans if necessary.

Advertising

The 2020 championships in July were cancelled because of the coronavirus.

But less than a week after the end of the French Open, top officials at the All England Lawn Tennis Club in south-west London declared that their hallowed grass courts would be open for business.

"Staging the championships in 2021 is our number-one priority and we are actively engaged in scenario-planning in order to deliver on that priority," said chief executive Sally Bolton.

Cancellation

The championships were called off for the first time since the second world war as the British government and sporting organisations throughout the world attempted to stem the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

The All England Club said it is planning for several scenarios for 2021 - a full-capacity event; a reduced-capacity tournament or holding it with no fans present.

The 2020 US Open in New York was held without spectators and the French Open went ahead in September and October with only 1,000 fans allowed daily into the Roland Garros stadium during the fortnight of competition.

Last year, the FFT, which stages the French Open, reported more than 520,000 spectators at the tournament.

Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning

Page not found

The content you requested does not exist or is not available anymore.